Thursday, July 9, 2009

Seriously?


I find it odd that a person would choose the job of phlebotomist in the first place, but if you're going to spend your days shoving needles in people's arms, maybe you should lose the attitude? Especially when you can't find that poor person's vein after 15 minutes? 15 MINUTES PEOPLE! Have you ever sat in a chair with a cocky 19 year old guy fishing around in your arm telling you he's almost got it, only to have him stab you yet again and fail? GET SOME HELP WOULD YA?! As you can tell my last blood donation experience was not a good one. I know that I have difficult veins, it is hereditary in my family, and so I always tell them which arm to use and warn them about the possible hardship to come. I've given with Red Cross several times, and I've gotta say I'm not that impressed. I'm not queasy and I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but come on! Today I decided to brave the donating again, this time with ARUP at work. I have had good experiences with them in the past. I tell the 12 year old kid holding the needle(don't they look younger the older we get?) all about my troubled veins and get the same "I can do it" answer. This time I was prepared to tell him to get the *%^* out of my arm if necessary. While he did not get the vein on the first try, or the second... he got it the third time and in only a few minutes this time. Maybe it is a sign that I am not meant for donating... Oh well, maybe I saved a life today! Plus I get to walk around with a cute pink bandage wrapped around my elbow and tell everyone I don't have a life threatening disease, I just gave blood.

5 comments:

devin said...

Just reading about it makes me want to throw up.

I don't think I can have children.

Josh and Nikki said...

I don't know if you got my comment last time. We're having a get together! Let me know if you want in! nikkiblasdell at hotmail dot com

TravandNat said...

You're a brave woman! I hate donating blood. I should be more heroic like you, and buck up.

The Haslam Family said...

Laur has had similar experiences recently. Doctors are sucking and I hate to think that the most basic of nurses are sucking. Sorry you had to go through that kiddo.

wharman said...

This is Wendy Harman from the American Red Cross. We'd really like to follow up with you. Can you email your contact info to me at HarmanW@usa.redcross.org?