Friday, May 29, 2009

My Trip to the Desert






















Well I am back from my trip and it was AMAZING! I was planning on a big post with lots of pictures, but I've found that it's very hard to put my experience into words. I have posted a few pictures, but most of the stories are being kept for me. If anyone has ever visited a place with a culture that is so drastically different from our own, you will understand my difficulty in explaining.
A few things we did on the trip:
-Given the honor of visiting a petroglyph site and attending a Kachina dance ceremony on the Hopi Reservation.
-Lessons on basket weaving and pottery making from a beautiful Hopi woman in her home.
-Home made fry bread!!! I can never eat it at the fair again...
-Spent a day at the Hopi Day School and worked with the kids there- I want to move there the people are so gracious and the kids are incredible.
-Hiked Canyon De Shelly on the Navajo Reservation and saw the White House Ruins that date back to 1100 AD.
-River trip down the San Juan with a Navajo guide who showed us more ruins and explained the geological features that have formed over millions of years.

It was a long 9 days, especially with 8 other girls... but it was such a great experience. If anyone has the chance to visit, I would definitely recommend taking the opportunity.

1 comment:

TravandNat said...

What a great trip! I totally get having a hard time explaining things, and wanting to keep some of the experiences to yourself! I'm glad that you had an awesome time. I love getting the chance to visit people who live a life so different than ours, with so much less, that are completely humble. It puts things into great perspective!