Thursday, February 26, 2009

Unexpected Lessons

Beware anyone who may read this lame blog, this post is a tad sentimental. Ok a lot sentimental, but bear with me. I am currently placed in a first grade classroom for two of my methods classes. I never thought that I would want to teach first grade, because I thought it would be like advanced kindergarten, which I'm told it kind of is at the beginning of the year, but the kids now are so amazing. They are so smart and fun and it is great to work with them. My mentor teacher is also incredible, he has a masters in Literacy from the U and it definitely shows with his kids. Anyway, to the sentimental stuff. It is so great to watch these kids interact with each other and with the teacher. They are so full of compassion for each other, I'm suprised everyday with something that one of them will say or do. While there is the standard pulling of hair and throwing balls at each other's faces at recess:), they are so caring! When someone gets an answer right, little voices chirp, "Good job Cecilia! That was a great answer!" etc etc. If someone is hurt, they hug them or rub their back and make sure they are ok. And most impressive, when they say they are sorry, which inevitably happens often when there are 18 six year olds together for 8 hours, I believe they really mean it! I think the thing that I admire most, though, is their ability to say something if they get the urge. They are always telling me that they love my jewelry or that someone's hair looks great. This is true for negative things too, which doesn't always go over well, but all the same I envy the ability to say what they mean! So to wrap this crap up, I went into this thinking that I was going to practice teaching these kids, and they have been teaching me. So if anyone did bother to read this whole dumb post, I guess the point I am trying to make is that we all could learn from the honesty and caring that these kids show to each other. They take their word seriously, and always speak up for what they believe in, even if it is only that someone butted them in the lunch line. I wonder where in the process of growing up this gets lost. If you see someone with great hair, tell them! If you see someone doing something you know is wrong, and it is safe to do so, speak up! Enough from me, next time I'll try to post something interesting to more than just me.

3 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Sonia, I taught first grade for two years and LOVED it. I really thought I was in heaven. I liked it much better than when I taught 3rd grade. I also student taught in preschool for a portion too. The 1st graders are "magical". That's what I always called it because they were so wonderful.

What grade do you think you want to teach?

TravandNat said...

It wasn't a dumb post, Son! I really liked it. It helped me to put things into perspective, and remember to learn from the little ones. It's sad that we lose that part of us, and becomed hardened. I will try to follow their example more often!!

PS..who would have ever guessed in the grand scheme of things that you would end up being a teacher? HA! I'm glad that you are liking it and learning so much! Congrats!

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

Sonia, I found your blog through Natalie's. Congrats on your marriage and getting your elementary degree. I taught for four years and loved it! This is my first year not teaching and I really miss it. I am living in Indiana right now, Tom went back to MBA school so we have another year here and then who knows where we'll be. We have a little girl, Ainsley and so that takes up most of my time. Anyways, hope things are going well. It's been forever! Congrats again.